Thursday, July 12, 2012

My 20 Links p. 4 - Duffy O'Connor


This artist is in a genre that is out of my norm and I wanted to choose him for that reason.  I was interested in his work because I can understand the symbolism and overal message as it is conveyed quite well.

Happy Birthday, gauche and gesso on panel, 2008, Duffy O'Connor 

Ice Cream, graphite, ink and acrylic, 2003, Duffy O'Connor

Artist information below from:
http://www.duffyoconnor.com

I received my B.A. in History from Grand Valley State University in western Michigan and attended graduate school at The University of Iowa, receiving M.A. and M.F.A. degrees in Printmaking.  My focus as a printmaker has been etchings & woodcuts, often merging printing with painting and drawing.  My career as an artist has also featured teaching, an occupation I love and one that informs and reinforces my artwork.  From my undergraduate days I always envisioned myself pursuing teaching as a career.

I have lived in Chicago since 1999 and have taught at Harrington College of Design since the fall of 2000.  Before coming to Chicago I taught at the University of Iowa, Grand Valley State University and with the University of Michigan's New England Literature Program as a visiting artist.  I have also taught oil painting at The Hyde Park Art Center in Chicago.

I have been teaching etching and relief classes at the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative since early 2003 and have been a member there since 2000.  When I need to print, I print at the CPC, an organization that has become my home in the Chicago art scene and has brought many exhibition opportunities.  I keep a private studio where much of my work takes place.
At Harrington I am full-time faculty and teach drawing, design fundamentals and relief printmaking.  Returning to design fundamentals through teaching has influenced the way i approach my work and has led me to become a painter as much as a printmaker, enjoying the challenge of new techniques and a more thorough exploration of color in my images.  As a printmaker I have always had to negotiate a course between technical precision and intuitive decisions and the renewed focus on fundamentals adds another layer of development.

O'Connor, D. (2012). Duffy O'Connor. Retrieved from http://www.duffyoconnor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment